Several schools of the 8th largest school district in the nation were labeled as persistently dangerous. The Chief of school police and high level administrators wanted a new approach that got community members and parents directly involved.
- Worked with non-profits and community groups to recruit mothers and fathers to work as safety support personnel.
- Highly trained teams of safety support personnel were created.
- Safety support personnel worked with teachers, administrators and school police to accomplish the school district’s mission.
- Safety support personnel supported students and parents through effective conciliation.
- 10% decrease in the number of violent and weapons incidents in 90 days.
- Serious incidents were decreased by 75% overall
- Suspension rates decreased from 10 times per week to 3 times per week.
- Jobs were created for parents and community members.
- Parents, students, teachers, and administrators worked together.